Saturday, August 29, 2009

A New Year! School year that is...

First week of school is officially over! It has been a successful beginning in my eyes. I have about 18 students that I work with - ranging in grades 2 through 6. Ability levels ranging from about 1st to 6th. Most I only see for 30 minutes daily and a few others anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours a day. Scheduling is always a beast but I think I got it figured out! And it only took me a few days! Just so you know what scheduling involves I must take into account these things before grouping students in half hour blocks throughout the day: recess, PE, specialty classes, General Ed. teacher preferences, student ability level, student peer/age groups (don't want to group a 2nd with a 6th!), what they are serviced for (reading, writing, math), how long they are with me a day, IEP goals... and I think that's it.... haha. Pretty crazy right? Why did I go into this field!

I have fantastic students this year, though. I'm at a new school, new staff, new students - I'm very excited to get going with the curriculem and actually teaching! For these first few days we have only reviewed rules and routined of the classroom - necessary. Boring, but very necessary! So far I have yet to see any behaviors that I can't manage which puts a HUGE smile on my face. I have a lot of hope for a great year!!

I need to take some pictures or my quaint, cute room - hopefully soon. But, to give you an idea - the theme is "Flying High" using hot air balloons :) Love it!

Nothing else new to report really. Mostly my life as of late has been consumed with school preparations, testing, scheduling etc... That said, I actually have been a lot less stressed about everything than I expected! (so far... hope I didn't just curse myself... blast...) I can do my school work at school, do a little bit at home when neccessary and then have time for myself in the evening. It's fantastic!

No comments: