Monday, June 29, 2009

If you like Pina Coladas...

K - don't ask about the title. I never know what to write in that little box - and since I will be discussing (or rather exclaiming!) about a tropical island today, and Pina Coloda's sound tropical to me... eh... just skip this part, ok? I'm not making any sense.

Can I just say that I am soo excited for Thursday! I may have to blog about it every day just to pass time and hope it comes faster. I leave on a jet plane Thursday afternoon for tropical paradise! For those of you who don't know, my father got a 'side' job (is that what to call it? I don't know...) working for a man who owns a resort on a little island called Saipan. Apparently the US owns this island (who knew! I sure didn't) and this man, we'll call him Russ (because that's his name) owns a gigantic resort. He had a couple telescopes installed sometime in January for locals and vacationers to enjoy, but he didn't exactly know how to work them. He needed an expert on telescope-working......enter my daddy.


(that's him...and me also...)

Since Professor Moody (that's my dad) is an astronomer and also is very cool, he decided he could sacrifice some of his time to live out there for a few weeks and get the scopes running. Sacrifice...that was a joke. Get it? Tropical Island? Anyway...

That was in February - and because Russ loved them so much, he wanted my dad back again! And this time, he agreed to pay for the rest of the family to fly out on our own time, too!! Isn't this fantastic? My turn comes this Thursday - I get to fly first to Tokyo where I will have a 4 hour layover and then on to Saipan. I believe the total trip will be around 24 hours. That's a long time - and I'm a little nervous about traveling alone - but I hear that the Japanese people are so anxious to talk to Americans and use their English that I won't have a problem finding someone to help me get to where I need to be. I've also heard that the information they give may not be accurate, but my plan is to talk to many people and follow the most common answer to get to my connecting flight. It's going to be soo great! This will practically be my first time going anywhere foreign! (an hour in Canada doesn't count.... Jersey almost counts, but...nah...) Wahoo!!

Here are a few pictures of Saipan just to get ya'll jelous:

http://www.eucon.us/About%20EIS/Saipan.jpg






*Sigh" I can't wait! Hey, do you guys want me to bring you back anything? I can totally do that. Let me know! And for real, I'll do it...

3 comments:

Katie said...

can you bring me back a ticket to saipan? i'm so excited for you and jealous! I hope you have a blast and get a great tan!

Heidi and Ben Daniel said...

I'm jealous, for sure! Lucky girl to have such an awesome dad :). Who couldn't love your family?!

Cindy said...

Get here, get here, get here. We can't wait!!! We're saving all the fun stuff until you guys are here so we're getting pretty bored. I do have to say, though, that snorkeling every morning intead of running on the treadmill for exercise is pretty amazing!!