Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy New Year!

Reflections from 2009: (what would a New Year post be without a little reminiscing?)

Got hired for my first real teaching job, learned a lot; got my first salary pay check; left the United States for the FIRST time ever; went para-sailing; moved back to Provo; made tons of new friends; crocheted a blanket; learned to knit; forgot how to knit; accepted a teaching job at a new school; made some more friends; went on my second plane ride ever; visited my brother in Ohio; went camping at Fish Lake and Capitol Reef; turned 25; picked up some awesome Country Dancing skills and so much more! It's hard to condense a year in one blog post. I have had some fun times this past year! I feel like I have also learned a lot more about myself and what I want out of life, but that's something for another post. I'm not in a serious mood today.

But boy am I excited for new beginnings! I - as I am sure many are the world over - have been thinking a lot about changes and goals and making a fresh start with the turn of another year. In years past, I would get very excited for all of these new goals I wanted to accomplish. I believe I had around 20 goals last year! And did I accomplish them all? Who knows?! My problem is I write them down and then never look at them again until ...actually I just don't ever look at them again. Not a very good system. This year I have decided to set some goals and actually pay attention to them throughout the year! Sounds like a plan, eh? I know - don't mock me. I figured it would be easiest to set only a minimum amount of goals in order to remain focused. These will be big picture type goals - hopefully to take shape as the year progresses. Drum roll please....

1. Travel more. I have been outside of the USA approximately 1 time in my life. It was a total blast! I want to do that more. I have plans already to visit my brother-in-law and sister in Scotland but I would like to go to at least one more place outside of the US.

2. Be healthier. I know that is a completely vague sort of goal. I have more specific goals in mind - but I think I will leave that for my un-public journal. Basically, I just want to eat less of the bad things, more of the good things, and be more active. Recovering from two knee surgeries and serving a mission (you know how that goes) has sort of kicked my trash in the healthiness department. So - I will be creating a more consistent exercising regime to be better all a'round' (hopefully not so much of that anymore....)

3. Cook more. I have been in a dinner group this last semester and I really enjoyed being able to cook more often. I want to plan and cook more frequently than I have been. I think this will also help with my health goal, too.

4. Get married. When isn't this a goal for me? Maybe this is the year! haha....we shall see.

5. Run a 5k, 10k and half marathon. Progressive goal. I really, really want to do this one! A lot.

There are of course other little goals (spiritual and personal growth goals) but I don't want to post those quite yet. Wish me luck! I hope everyone has a great start to a Brand New Year!!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

You go girl!!!

KasiaJ said...

Hey, I'm planning on the Provo River Half Marathon this year. Wanna train?