Friday, January 29, 2010

Stuck

Dear Everyone,

Today I got to participate in the school Spelling Bee.  Not as a participant, of course.  I would have been massacred, m-a-s-s-a-c-r-e-d, massacred.  Those kids are smart!  No, no... I was a judge of sorts but mostly I wrote down incorrect spellings and crossed off names of kiddos who were eliminated.  The winning word.... synthesizer!  It was quite the exciting day!
The best part was - due to the fact that it lasted 3 1/2 HOURS - I didn't have to teach all day...teehee.  I almost feel bad writing that, but truth is I look forward to built-in vacations from preparing, managing and teaching lessons.  I love my students, but sometimes (more often than not) I do not love teaching. If my job consisted of cleaning, decorating, filing/organizing paperwork and testing students one on one all day I would love, love my job! However, it is not only that and the decision to continue teaching has been sloshing around in my brain for quite some time now.  What to do? I don't exactly know.  Why am I telling you about it? Maybe you could give me some advise....? Maybe?
Last year, at the end of the school year, I was torn whether or not to accept this job.  With much convincing from the District I decided to give it one more year.  This has been my self-titled "trial year".  And a trial it has been!  I'm glad I chose to continue this year - I have learned oh so much.  If I decide to dis-continue teaching, it will be a decision that was thought out and tried not simply because I am scared and running away from something hard.  I understand that work is always going to be work whatever it is I decide to do, I just feel I am already burning out and one more year of this may not make a happy girl out of me.  And I just want to be happy.
So - I have been searching for alternate jobs or anything that strikes my fancy.  It kills me a little on the inside that perhaps I am wasting such a specific degree, but I know there are other areas in which the skills I have will be needed.  Some options I have thought of include: Administrative Assistant (secretary, rather... but to be honest my secretary jobs were my most favorite of all), Counseling / Advising of some sort, working for a Private tutoring company.  That's what I gots.  Any other suggestions? Thoughts? Comments?  I would love anything you have to tell me.

Much Love,
Jeanette

1 comment:

LittleJaymers said...

Hey there! I promise it starts to get better with ever year you get under your belt! Maybe I will come and look for jobs with you because the PRAXIS will be my down fall! Hope things work out for you!

Jaymi