Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Perspective

Work was rough today. There are so many things involved with being a Special Ed. Resource teacher, that sometimes I wonder how my head doesn't explode on a daily basis. I know it is a common theme with all school teachers - so much to think about and plan that you can hardly leave it at school when you finally DO go home. Today I was struck while I was thinking about the challenges that many of my special students face. My thoughts seemed to focus on one little student in particular and I was inspired - so I would like to share that with you.
I have a student who is an only child and comes from a broken home. Mom stays at home, I think she is ill - she can't bring him to school because their car just died. He rides his scooter in the snow. His step dad works a lot. I don't know the particulars of the family, only that in trying to schedule a meeting mom didn't show up 3 times and on the fourth, we managed to have a meeting over the phone. Despite whatever may be going on at home, this little boy is the most positive boy I have ever taught. He is 3 grades below on all academic levels (reading, writing and math), he is sick a lot and he does not have many friends. Despite his academic non-achievements, whenever I give him a timed math or reading test, his typical attitude is this:
Me: How far do you think you can get in one minute?
Him: I can finish the whole page!
Me: Ok! Just do your best.
(He gets approxiamately 3 of the 25 done)
Me: Do you want to try again?
Him: Ya! I can get the whole page this time!
Me: Just do your best.
(He gets 3 again)
Him: I want to try one more time!
This little charade could go on and on without him improving in the least and if we were to do these little tests all day long, he would still believe that he can do the whole page the next time! He has heart and determination as well as a sweet ignorance to his own imperfect little mind. He is constantly helping me clean or 'helping' other students with their work. He loves every soul he meets and yet they often do not love him - because he is different. In appearance and activity he is a normal little boy, but they can tell that he is not the same and they let it effect what they think of him. This example of his determination is just one of the many ways that he has taught me. I am glad that he has such an innocent perception of his situation - he needs it to survive. One day he came to school in new clothes - I am sure it is not often that he gets something new. He couldn't stop smiling (or telling me about it!) for the entire class time. He informed me today that his shoes are tight now, but he didn't tell me that in complaint. He followed it up with, "Now I can run faster! Tighter shoes make you a better runner."
For all the challenges that I think I have in my life, these children have so much more. More than I would ever wish on a child so pure. And from this all, there is no doubt in my mind that Heavenly Father is real. He loves me because he has given me so much. He loves these children because he has given them ways to handle what they must. I only hope that I can be given enough wisdom and strength to help them on their journey - as much as they are helping me.

No comments: